The Radhound Radiation Survey Meter
21st September 2021
Multi Purpose Digital Radiation Survey Meter
The Radhound is a feature-packed digital radiation monitor that is ideal for use within a large range of sectors, including academia, pharmaceutical research, and nuclear medicine/PET. With an array of Geiger-Müller, Sodium Iodide, and Plastic Scintillator-based probes, the whole spectrum of contamination and dose rate measurements is covered. The Radhound can be used as either a portable or fixed unit and thanks to a simple to use PPE-friendly interface, this makes it ideal for a multitude of environments.
Radhound Monitor Types
The Radhound comes in a variety of models, each designed to provide additional features and benefits to specific fields of use. The models available include:
The Radhound Multi-purpose Digital Radiation Meter
This is the default Radhound offering a multi-purpose radiation survey meter suitable for contamination monitoring and radiation protection. Count rate is displayed in large numbers above a bar scale. A one button push changes the display to a histogram plot to assist in locating a source of radiation, another available display allows Alpha and Beta/Gamma counts to be displayed separately on the same screen. For surveying operations the Radhound also has an integrator mode to take readings over a user established period of time.
The Radhound X/E and X/I
The Radhound X/E is an advanced hand-held general purpose radiation monitor, suitable for a wide range of probes. The Radhound X/I is a Radhound with an internal dose rate detector. Some of the unique features of this monitor include the ability to switch between probes via the menu, allowing for a dose rate and contamination probe to be configured for use with one instrument. This flexibility allows any standard probe to be used with an operating voltage of 300 - 1200 V.
The Radhound X335
The Radhound X335 is an advanced hand-held survey meter with an integrated compensated end window Geiger-Müller detector for gamma dose rate monitoring. With a dose rate range of H*(10): 0 uSv/h – 1 mSv/h and an energy response of 20 keV - 1.5 MeV making it ideal for nuclear medicine departments, radiological survey work and emergency planning, response and clean up.
The Radhound monitors have a wide selection of probes for an array of applications, these include:
- SS300 Probe - An uncompensated pancake Geiger-Müller-based probe for alpha, beta and gamma contamination measurement.
- SS315 Probe - Functionally similar to the SS300 but with different probe geometry.
- SS330 Probe - An excellent general purpose end window compensated pancake Geiger-Müller probe with H*(10) energy compensation, permitting reliable measurements from ambient background up to 1 µSv/hr.
- SS335 Probe - Functionally identical to the SS330 but with different probe geometry.
- SS340 Probe - A side-window Geiger-Müller probe for ambient gamma radiation measurement to H*(10)
- SS404 AI Probe - A thin-crystal NaI(TI) end-window scintillation probe that incorporates a ∅ 1.25” x 0.098” (32 x 2.5 mm) thick NaI(Tl) crystal mounted on an aluminium window and is fitted with an internal 3.15 mm lead collimator to reduce background counts.
- SS404 Be Probe - Similar to the SS404 AI, however, the SS404 Be is fitted with a beryllium window, which extends the low energy response down to 5KeV, making it suitable for counting 55Fe.
- SS500 Probe - A very sensitive end-window gamma scintillation probe. Equipped with a ∅ 1" x 1" (25.4 x 25.4 mm) NaI(Tl) crystal, it is designed to provide a cost-effective gamma monitor for energies of 50 keV upwards.
- SS600 Probes - There are three versions of these 100 cm2 window probes available:
- The SS600 A Alpha only (zinc sulphide layer)
- The SS600 B Beta only (Plastic Scintillator)
- The SS600 AB Alpha/Beta (Zinc sulphide bonded to a plastic scintillator)
- SS700 Probes - Three ergonomically balanced probes with a square window of 50cm2 and a 64o angled handle. These are:
- SS700 A Alpha only (Zinc sulphide layer)
- SS700 B Beta only (Plastic scintillator)
- SS700 AB Alpha/Beta (Zinc sulphide bonded to a plastic scintillator)
For a more detailed overview and a full breakdown of each probe, please click here.
The onboard software offers a well-rounded level of customization, from adjustable alarm thresholds to different display screens such as integrator mode, which allows you to take measurements over a set period of time. A histogram mode is also available, allowing for count rate data to be visually plotted over time to easily identify radioactive sources.
With a manufacturing and engineering team on hand, we are happy to consider any requests and modifications within reason. For example, a RS232 serial connection can be established or extended cable lengths can be applied. Physical modifications such as wall brackets can also be installed, for specialist mounting to monitor your environment.
Get In Touch
To find out more about the Radhound range, its accessories, application use or to request a product demo, please get in touch with our product specialist HERE.